Skincare is one of the most talked-about topics ever, yet most people can’t get the full grasp of it. This may be attributed to the lack of information or false information available in the public domain. Whichever side of the table you are sitting on, you will learn few tips from this post, on what not to do if you are gunning for a radiant skin.
THINGS THAT DAMAGES YOUR SKIN OVERTIME
1. Over exfoliating your skin. Admittedly, I advocate for a bi-weekly exfoliation because of the satisfying feeling I get from my radiant skin afterwards. Exfoliation helps to get rid of the dead skin cells which accumulated over time, because our skin sheds itself after some days. For some, it takes 28days while others have a 35 day cycle. This cycle depends mostly on your age. Your skin tend to regenerate itself faster when you are young.
However, you will damage your skin barriers over time if you exfoliate your skin more than twice weekly. This will leave your skin prone to damage overtime because the protective layers have been impaired. So, easy enough on the chemical/ physical exfoliation and microdermabrasion.
2. Not using Sun protection / enough sunscreen. Most people assume they don’t need sun protection because they don’t get sunburn. Well let me be the one to burst your bubble ; every human being on earth need sun protection even in when you see little or no sun because the UVA/UVB can penetrate into your skin and cause damage like melanoma (cancer of the skin) and can aggravate your hyperpigmentation or melasma.
Use enough sun protection for your face and skin and don’t forget to reapply every two hours for maximum coverage. Spf 30 and above should be your go-to-sunscreen!
3. Using the wrong products. Well you might think this should be a common knowledge but most people still use skincare products that are not suitable for their skin type. Doing this will damage and or change the pH of your skin. If you are not sure about your skin type, then consult your dermatologist or an esthetician.
4. Layering your skincare products wrongly or mixing your products together. Mixing your skincare products together is wrong. For example mixing actives together will change the scientific component of the products and might reduce its potency. Do not ever mix your hyaluronic acid with Niacinamide or Retinol no matter how much time you want to save.
5. Picking your acne. Now matter how pesky your acne might be, never pick them with your fingers because you’ll be transferring more bacteria to it and causing the situation to exacerbate. Visit a professional is you have skincare issues.
Photo Credit: Google images